[MPlayer-users] MPEG-TS + H264 (again)

Colin Rosenthal csr at statsbiblioteket.dk
Mon Nov 16 13:51:53 CET 2009

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 11:06:12AM +0100, Colin Rosenthal wrote:
>
>> Reimar Döffinger wrote:
>>
>>> You could really just try my suggestions (unless you want to learn about
>>> video coding, then you should say so but this is not the best place for
>>> it).
>>> If you drop or duplicate encoded frames that messes up the whole frame
>>> reordering code, so the frames will be displayed in the wrong order,
>>> thus it jitters forwards and backwards (in addition to the displayed
>>> frames usually being corrupted a bit).
>>>

>> I have tried your suggestion and it works fine for me. However it
>> doesn't really represent a solution
>> for all our users, many of whom will not be able to compile unfamiliar
>> software or be comfortable with
>> command-line options.
>>

> I am rather confused on what you are trying to say. I only pointed out
> that you will almost always have to use -mc 0 -noskip with -ovc copy.
> Someone who is using -ovc copy obviously is already using the
> commandline.
>

>> It would be nice if we could
>> avoid heavy video transcoding and still be able to deliver a format
>> playable in, for example, vlc in
>> Windows. I will do some experimentation and probably come back with some
>> more detailed questions
>> later.
>>

> VLC should be able to play almost anything (it couldn't play the other
> file without -mc 0 -noskip because that generated a broken file, nothing
> could play that no matter the amount of custom patches or command-line
> options).
> I think it would make more sense to target Adobe Flash player, if it can
> play it almost everything else can, too (excluding Windows Media Player,
> except maybe the Windows 7 version).
> You should not need to re-encode the video for that (except that I think
> Flash doesn't support deinterlacing, so it will look a bit ugly), not sure
> about the audio.
Reimar,
Sorry about the confusion. I wasn't certain whether you were talking
about playback options
or mencoder options. We (the library) will be doing the encoding of
course and providing our
borrowers with something they can view reasonably easily. I don't think
it's too much to
require them to install vlc, but we haven't really finalised that
decision which is why I
sound a little vague about our target format. (In our old system we used
to burn dvd-videos
from captured mpeg2's.)

So what we have now is
 >mencoder -mc 0 -noskip -endpos 600  -tsprog 2010 -demuxer lavf -oac
pcm -ovc copy -of avi -o mux2.avi mux2.t
which produces a file which plays in vlc on both linux and windows. The
only remaining problem is the
lost synchronisation between sound and video. Is there anything we can
do to correct or minimise that?

--
Colin