[MPlayer-users] audio out of sync when playing mkv

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Oct 18 18:25:31 CEST 2009

Rilawich Ango <maillisting <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Below is the message that I got from the console when playing mkv.
> Does it mean the hardware is not enough for playing mkv?

Either that, or mplayer does not keep sync be default. To find out, play the
file with -speed 0.2: It A/V sync is ok (watch the "A-V:" value in the status
line), it is a hardware problem, if not, (at least) an mplayer problem.

> If not, how can I tune to sync audio with video?

If your hardware is not fast enough, try:
-lavdopts skiploopfilter=all (whould improve speed without visible difference)
-lavdopts skiploopfilter=all:fast (nearly no additional speed difference)
-lavdopts skiploopfilter=all:fast:skipframe=nonref (skips every second frame)

If it is an mplayer problem, try:
-demuxer mkv -nocorrect.pts
-demuxer lavf -nocorrect-pts
-demuxer mkv -nocorrect-pts -mc 1
-demuxer lavf -nocorrect-pts -mc 1

(It is possible that you have to combine both methods if the file does contain
PAFF frames - the reason for a mplayer problem - and your hardware is too slow.)

Please do not top-post, it is considered very rude on this list, Carl Eugen