[MPlayer-users] Mpeg4 TS support

Rolf Ernst rolf.ernst at silverlightning.org
Fri Apr 9 04:12:28 CEST 2010

On 4/8/2010 7:46 PM, Albert Scholtalbers wrote:
> Hi There,
>
> I have been using Mencoder for a while with a lot of pleasure. I found out
> that Mplayer, FFMpeg and Mencoder are related. I use to record DVB MPEG2-TS
> streams from Dreambox and convert them to Mpeg4 (h264) files, which works
> excellent.
> Now a days we get more and more Mpeg4 (h264) TS streams on the different
> satellites in Europe. With Mplayer your are able to dump them on a HDD and
> play them with VLC, but not with Mplayer. Due to this fact Mencoder can't
> really recode them. You get video in slow motion and audio out of sync.
> Is there any news on support of Mpeg4 TS streams in the near future. It
> shouldn't be too hard as Mencoder almost manages to covert them.
>
> Thanks in advance

I encode TS streams all the time (actually I have a frontend which will
multiplex the different streams in the TS stream into one Matroska
file). I get those transport streams off the Hauppage DVR (it.s h.264
encoded to start with). So I am certain that mencoder supports h.264 TS
streams. What platform are you encoding on?

A last resort would be to demultiplex with tsmuxer, encode separately
and multiplex the result but that has some drawbacks.

Also, mplayer hasn't shown any difficulties in playing them back. It's
HD video.

--

/re

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.

Ralph Waldo Emerson