[MPlayer-users] X11 Issue with fork and execve of mplayer

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Apr 13 21:47:14 CEST 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 04:15:43PM +0530, Vijay Anand wrote:
> Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> >On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 03:14:04PM +0530, Vijay Anand wrote:
> >>Can anyone please let me know the solution for the above issue?
> >
> >I'd suggest to try starting an xterm (or something even simpler)
> >instead of MPlayer first, should be easier to debug.
>
> Now I am able to execve a mplayer process but without the widget
> option (-wid) in its own window. But with the -wid option it does'nt
> work.
> I have added a gtksocket to the window and then execve the mplayer
> process with the window id of the socket for the -wid option but
> still mplayer gets started and could see its playing logs but the
> video window does'nt show up. I looked up the gnome-mplayer code
> which looks fairly similar approach but could not figure out what I
> am doing wrong.

What made you think MPlayer would want the Window ID of a gtksocket?
gtksocket seems to be a hack that can only and exclusively be used
by GTK applications, MPlayer wants a proper X Window ID and it will draw
into exactly that window. If you give it and ID of something invisible
like a GtkSocket you obviously won't be able to see anything.