[MPlayer-users] X11 Issue with fork and execve of mplayer

Vijay Anand vijay.gunasekaran at mobax.com
Thu Apr 15 12:05:34 CEST 2010

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 04:15:43PM +0530, Vijay Anand wrote:
>
>> Reimar Döffinger wrote:

>>> I'd suggest to try starting an xterm (or something even simpler)
>>> instead of MPlayer first, should be easier to debug.
>>>
>> Now I am able to execve a mplayer process but without the widget
>> option (-wid) in its own window. But with the -wid option it does'nt
>> work.
>> I have added a gtksocket to the window and then execve the mplayer
>> process with the window id of the socket for the -wid option but
>> still mplayer gets started and could see its playing logs but the
>> video window does'nt show up. I looked up the gnome-mplayer code
>> which looks fairly similar approach but could not figure out what I
>> am doing wrong.
>>

> What made you think MPlayer would want the Window ID of a gtksocket?
> gtksocket seems to be a hack that can only and exclusively be used
> by GTK applications, MPlayer wants a proper X Window ID and it will draw
> into exactly that window. If you give it and ID of something invisible
> like a GtkSocket you obviously won't be able to see anything.

For the same reason as mentioned (which I realized after not having a
showable widget in the code) I used a fixed layout container and have
added the gtksocket to the container and the fixed layout is added to
the top level window and the widgets of the window are then shown. But
even then it does'nt work.
The usage of gtksocket which seems to be a hack according to you is the
method followed in gnome-mplayer code.
Are you suggesting to use an EventBox or Drawing Area widget and provide
its window ID to mplayer and drop the gtksocket approach?