[MPlayer-users] Create a driver or plug-in for a playback device

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Apr 15 21:16:57 CEST 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 02:50:42PM +0100, Jorge Vegas wrote:
> I was wondering how could I develop a driver/plug-in to use on of the bluefish
> cards to play the footage that is selected in mplayer. I would like to do
> something similar to what Matrox is doing. Is there any way you can inform and
> send some doc where I can read how to develop a driver/plug-in.

I think nobody here knows what Matrox does.
And drivers are the things that run in the kernel, and plug-ins is something
MPlayer does not use.
Due to not having Flash I can't read much on the home page, so I'll just answer
for all cases:
1) For Video input, it probably should just support V4L2 and MPlayer should work.
Some fixes may be necessary in the stream/tvi_v4l2.c file.
2) For Video output it also would be best to support something existing (e.g. XVideo),
but if you have to this kind of code goes into libvo/ (rudimentary documentation in
DOCS/tech/libvo.txt)
3) If it does encoding/decoding, MPlayer is the wrong place, look at FFmpeg/libavcodec.

Reimar