[MPlayer-users] Any hope for seamless Blu-ray playback using .mpls playlist?

John Stebbins stebbins at jetheaddev.com
Thu Apr 22 19:40:57 CEST 2010

On 04/22/2010 09:43 AM, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 19:05 -0600, Dark Shadow wrote:
>
>> I have started backing up my Blu-rays decrypted to my hard drive and
>> came across one that uses seamless playback based on watching the
>> theatrical or uncut version and wondered it mplayer could get the
>> ability to read the mpls playlist so I don't have to remux the parts
>> together with tsMuxer. Or create a second playlist that mplayer can
>> read.
>>
> Is there a description of the overall format somewhere? If it's
> basically splicing the playback together from multiple files then it
> could be easy to add support using the same code as is used for Matroska
> ordered chapters. I'd need some samples to test with though; I don't
> currently have any such blu-ray files (and I assume files large enough
> to test practical playlists would be pretty large).

I wrote the library in question (bdtools).  That code has been
superseded by current svn of the libbluray project.
http://altair.videolan.org:4280/
The old codebase has some bugs that I haven't bothered to go back and fix.

Unfortunately this project was started with a closed svn and then the
project leader vanished.  So access to outsiders has been limited.  But
people that want access can get it by talking to j-b on irc #libbluray.

In the bdtools tarball, you'll find some notes I took while reverse
engineering the format.  There's a little more involved than simply
splicing together files. The beginning and end of a clip doesn't have to
coincide with the beginning and end of the file.  There are start and
end points defined in the playlist.  Though 99.9% of the time, simply
splicing the files will work.  The libbluray project has a bd_read
function that does all the proper splicing.