[MPlayer-users] Artifacts with DVB/mpeg2video

Peter Molnar peter at molnar.cc
Mon Aug 2 21:01:44 CEST 2010

Hi Everyone,

I'm using mplayer for playback from a DVB tuner card.

On some channels, sharp edges get distorted. Especially some text, and
it becomes extremely hard to read. See the attached screenshot or [1],
the white text on black background on the bottom. However different
text, just above is almost perfect.

A skilled eye might see on the first sight what this artifact might be.

I guess, the tuner card is probably not the problem, as I see that
artifact with both a DVB-T and a different DVB-S card and on both
Linux and Windows. So I guess it is related to the mpeg2video decoder.
Can I do anything about it?

--
Thanks
Peter