[MPlayer-users] Linux viceo editor?

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Sat Aug 14 14:05:44 CEST 2010

This is one of the things that linux really doesn't have.

There have been several bold attempts, Cinelerra not least among them, but
it's possibly one of those areas that open source is always going to have
problems addressing. Nonlinear editors are big, complex pieces of software,
which will require a lot of people who are working for free to keep their
minds on one thing for an extended period. This is rare; remember that the
only reason FOSS has a 3D rendering package is because someone gave it away
fully formed. The only reason it has a competent office suite is that Sun
gave one away. I could go on.

More than that, though, there's the issue that an NLE is a very user-centric
thing, and it needs to work in the way that editors need it to work, not the
way that's easiest for software engineers to write. All software engineers
suffer from this problem to an extent, but the FOSS community, since usually
nobody's being paid, is (in my experience) particularly likely to make the
following assumption:

- I am a software engineer
- Your problem can be solved with software
- Therefore I know everything about your problem.

Needless to say this is a hopeless fallacy and most coders don't seem to
realise they're doing it. Cinelerra is a good example of it, or at least it
was 18 months ago when I last looked at it.

The last problem is of course hardware compatibility. It's still an absolute
chore, at least compared to a commercial OS, to make any sort of firewire
device work under Linux, let alone a DV camcorder. And DV camcorders are now
yesterday's news; how long do we have to wait before we can read SxS cards?

Nobody should take this personally; hardware compatibility is late on linux
because of the need to reverse-engineer the products of often uncooperative
hardware manufacturers, but at the end of the day if Blackmagic release a
new tool and I have to wait three to five years for support to be mature,
well, I simply don't really have that option, regardless of whether I have a
personal interest in using free software or not.

Because of this I don't think it's very likely that FOSS will ever come up
with something on the level of something like Final Cut, Premiere or After
Effects unless someone commissions one, pays millions of units of currency
to develop it, then gives it away.