[MPlayer-users] mencoder compile fails

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Thu Aug 26 11:09:41 CEST 2010

Le nonidi 9 fructidor, an CCXVIII, Lobster a écrit :
> On the #MPlayer IRC channel people have come in with this issue,
> The resolution has been so far to install the freetype development
> packages for their distro.

(Please do not top-post (look it up on wikipedia if you do not know what it
means) on this list.

That was my hypothesis. It was a good move anyway: without Freetype, MPlayer
is seriously crippled.

I wonder if it would not be better, from a communication point of view, to
make configure fail with a clear error message if a few key features.
Currently, configure is perfectly happy to prepare me a MPlayer that has no
useful video output (if I miss the X11 devel files) and only OSS (that,
AFAIK, does not work for people using PULSE or other similar sound servers).