[MPlayer-users] mencoder compile fails

Lobster lobo at lobs.sytes.net
Thu Aug 26 11:55:58 CEST 2010

  On 26/08/2010 9:09 p.m., Nicolas George wrote:
> Le nonidi 9 fructidor, an CCXVIII, Lobster a écrit :
>> On the #MPlayer IRC channel people have come in with this issue,
>> The resolution has been so far to install the freetype development
>> packages for their distro.
> (Please do not top-post (look it up on wikipedia if you do not know what it
> means) on this list.

Sorry about that, It was the default mode my mail client was working in,
Have now reconfigured.

> That was my hypothesis. It was a good move anyway: without Freetype, MPlayer
> is seriously crippled.
>
> I wonder if it would not be better, from a communication point of view, to
> make configure fail with a clear error message if a few key features.
> Currently, configure is perfectly happy to prepare me a MPlayer that has no
> useful video output (if I miss the X11 devel files) and only OSS (that,
> AFAIK, does not work for people using PULSE or other similar sound servers).

If anything configure should supply a decent warning, but there are
times people don't want or need freetype or other
dependencies.

I myself couldn't care less about subtitles or osd, and most of the
machines I use MPlayer on don't even have X or monitors attached.

So just keep in mind, because you think not having some thing cripples
MPlayer, it does not mean others feel the same way.

just my 2 cents.