[MPlayer-users] mplayer -identlfy failure

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Dec 16 08:30:52 CET 2010

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 10:53:06PM +0100, Sebastien Fievet wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your replies!
> MPlayer does play this DVD when launched with : 'mplayer dvdnav:// -no-cache'.

Can you actually play more than the menu? For these DVDs this still gets stuck
for me when I try to play the movie.

> OTOH, as i said in my first post :
> 'mplayer -vo null -ao null -nomsgcolor -nomsgmodule -frames 0 -noidx -identify -nocache -noidle dvd://'  eats up all my system memory before crashing.
> BUT replacing "-identify" with "-msglevel identify={1,2,3}" exits with no error, while
> "-msglevel identify={4+} " crashes.

We need a gdb or better valgrind backtrace, without that we really have no chance.

> - my linux DLNA server (PS3 mediaserver) relies on mplayer to stream DVDs to my TV,
> and it fails with that DVD because it streams titles directly instead of passing by the menu.
>
> Any (little) chance to see a solution to this? Please please please...

Honestly? Use one of the programs specifically made for ripping DVDs and make a copy,
most of them should have no issues (but unfortunately most are Windows-only, too).
That's why it's called copy-protection: the only way to play it is to make a copy first.