[MPlayer-users] 1st that, now this... come on

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Feb 4 20:53:20 CET 2010

On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 08:35:14PM +0100, Oliver Seitz wrote:
> Am 04.02.2010, 20:24 Uhr, schrieb Reimar Döffinger
> <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de>:
>
> >On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 04:31:05PM +0100, Oliver Seitz wrote:
> >>I must admit when I'm forced to use windows, I'm using VLC, as it is
> >>
> >>1. a pain in the ass to use the command line on windows, and it is
> >>2. a pain in the ass to use MPlayer by mouse only.
> >
> >Just for your info that's what e.g. SMPlayer is supposed to fix...
>
> Thanks, leaves the problem that I'm glad I'm not to familiar with
> windows, and the bugfixes for MPlayer (often within hours after
> being reported...) would make me wish to compile it myself... And I
> simply don't want to do that on windows.

I fully understand that.
I can you actually like "wasting" your time with such things you can do
cross-compilation for Windows on Linux though.
With crossdev on Gentoo you even get package-management for any dependencies
you install into your cross-compilation environment.
Even that solution does have some rough edges though, so I only recommend it
for people who like doing that kind of thing.
And for the people wondering about gcc 4.5.0: That is used quite a bit on Windows
since it fixes some major Windows-specific problems - however personally I can
only advice against any gcc version that has a 0 anywhere in its version number.