[MPlayer-users] Use of HW accel. of ATOM under Windows

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Feb 16 10:46:00 CET 2010

Franz Leu <franz.leu <at> norfolk.ch> writes:

> I just read about the support for the HW accelerator/decoder of the ATOM
> Z series under Linux.

Note that the homepage is very slightly ambiguous: The relevant entry has
nothing to do with Atom (the CPU), but with Poulsbo (an Intel chipset that is
often used with Atom CPU's). The entry basically claims you can use hardware
acceleration on Poulsbo driven hardware on Linux with MPlayer (but depends on
the definition of "utilize" and "MPlayer").
AFAIK, you may also have an Nvidia ION chipset with your Atom CPU which actually
supports hardware accelerated decoding with MPlayer svn since about one year (on
Linux, Solaris and some BSD).

> How can I make use of the decoder in wwindows?

I've heard rumours that vlc does support it (for both Poulsbo and ION). That was
their main attraction on FOSDEM...

Carl Eugen