[MPlayer-users] Use of HW accel. of ATOM under Windows

Franz Leu franz.leu at norfolk.ch
Tue Feb 16 11:04:19 CET 2010

>> I just read about the support for the HW accelerator/decoder of the
ATOM
>> Z series under Linux.
>
>Note that the homepage is very slightly ambiguous: The relevant entry
has
>nothing to do with Atom (the CPU), but with Poulsbo (an Intel chipset
that is
>often used with Atom CPU's). The entry basically claims you can use
hardware
>acceleration on Poulsbo driven hardware on Linux with MPlayer (but
depends on
>the definition of "utilize" and "MPlayer").
>AFAIK, you may also have an Nvidia ION chipset with your Atom CPU which
actually
>supports hardware accelerated decoding with MPlayer svn since about one
year (on
>Linux, Solaris and some BSD).

For this Mediasystem project I am working on we use an embedded board
(picoITX) that uses a ATOM Z CPU and a US15W (Poulsbo) chipset. We have
Windows Embedded Standard 2009 as OS and are looking for a fully
configurable (skin) and externally/remote controllable Mediaplayer for
displaying IPTV streams (mainly) with our own GUI, controlled from our
own application. Of course, we would prefer a Mediaplayer that uses the
HW decoder available in Poulsbo - if possible at all.

>> How can I make use of the decoder in wwindows?
>
>I've heard rumours that vlc does support it (for both Poulsbo and ION).
That was
>their main attraction on FOSDEM..

VLC will be starting to support DxVA2 from the next release (1.1),
possibly due in February. However, DxVA2 is available from Vista onwards
only and therefore cannot be used win XP based code as we do with
Emb.Std.2009. AFAIK, the support of DxVA (used on XP) is not planned.
VLC was my first thought .. 'bad shot' .. that's why I am looking for
another solution ..

Franz