[MPlayer-users] alang and slang selection problem with dvdnav,

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Jan 25 22:10:33 CET 2010

On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 07:30:47PM +0000, Chris Elston wrote:
> I'm having trouble getting mplayer to use the subtitle and audio
> languages I select.  I'm using a daily snapshot I downloaded today, and
> I'm running it like:
>
> mplayer dvdnav://0 -dvd-device /dev/dvd -msglevel identify=6 -alang 'en'
> -slang 'en'
>
> Which gives the output in the attached file mplayer_chapter_0.txt

Uh, first it's the title that selects, not the chapter.

> Playing dvdnav://0.
> The hostname option must be >= 1: 0
> Struct dvd, field hostname parsing error: 0

Second there is no title 0 and you are completely confusing MPlayer
by requesting it - I have no idea what exactly will happen in
such a case.
But I guess reason it does not find any language is because it
starts playing the menu, and the menu only exists in French
on the DVD. Normally it should switch the language later when
you select a proper title, but this is not possible for all DVDs
(some DVDs implement language selection by having a different
title for each language (!) and MPlayer can't work then -
but those DVDs are also a pain in standalone DVD players,
which is how I noticed that issue first).