[MPlayer-users] TrueHD

Rolf Ernst rolf.ernst at silverlightning.org
Mon Jan 25 22:27:00 CET 2010

Well,

I spent last evening working on it. The problem is that MinGW comes with GCC
3.4.4/5 and that just won't fly for me with mplayer (or many other things
for that matter). It overlays everything once you install a new version,
executables, headers, whatever.

I haven't the foggiest clue why the MinGW people deliver that old of a
compiler (won't accept a lot of march= arguments, those machines didn't even
exist when that compiler build was current).

I got it mostly set up (GCC 4.2). Decided to build all the prereq libraries
for codecs and filters, too, so I am not dependent on binaries there and can
benefit from any updates.

I got it compiled, missing a few things like faac (odd compilation errors
for that one) but should have that sorted out tonight. I'll give you
feedback then. If I run into a stumbling block I'll give your build a whirl
so you know how things look. Somewhere I read something about licensing
restrictions/incompatibilities between faac and at least ffmpeg, maybe
mplayer as well. Do you know something about that?

Maybe I'll write up something myself re: Build on MinGW once I complete
this. The old guides I found are definitely no longer applicable.

Thanks again for all your help.

/re

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Reimar Döffinger
<Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de>wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 07:07:38PM -0600, Rolf Ernst wrote:
> > >  I think you'll have to update your MinGW installation, I think
> mingw-runtime
> > > 3.15 is what's required
> > >

> > >  Will do, although I compiled two days ago ...
> > >
> > > Thanks for your patience. Alles gute ...
> > >
> > > You are correct. It seems to require a higher version (first time
> usleep is
> > used). Sort of throws me a curve ball as it took me days to set up an
> > environment that would actually compile mplayer (the gnu compiler doesn't
> > work) and now I can't get the thing to configure any longer.
>
> Hm.. it really shouldn't be so much of an issue.
> Just doing a default install of MinGW and MSYS without doing anything
> special should allow you to compile MPlayer - even though you might want
> to add support for a few more things (in particular the patch to properly
> support > 2GB files http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer/misc/file64_mingw.diff).
> And since you already had it running, it _should_ only be a matter of
> running
> the mingw installer again and let it update everything...
> Well, maybe it still isn't quite as easy, maybe I should try to do a
> up-to-date
> guide again one of these days - though I am just using cross-compilation
> with
> Gentoo these days.
>
> > Well, maybe I'll wait for someone to throw out another binary.
>
> For files <= 2GB (larger files will have issues with seeking) I can offer
> you
> this build, so you can at least test if everything now works again:
> http://natsuki.mplayerhq.hu/~reimar/mplayer-i586.exe<http://natsuki.mplayerhq.hu/%7Ereimar/mplayer-i586.exe>

/re

The things that come to those that wait were left there by those that got
there first.