[MPlayer-users] -bandwidth option being ignored, not utilizing available network bandwidth?

Joshua Smith bgcladd at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 05:06:32 CET 2010

Hello everyone,
I am trying to stream video through a samba share with openvpn. A straight
file copy yields sustained 20mbit transfer rate. However, if i try to play
back that same file (file bitrate is far below 20mbit) with mplayer using
-bandwidth (cant seem to find an exact description of what this does so i
set it very high 1000000000) -cache and -cache-min. Mplayer will fill the
min cache, quickly blow through the buffer and begin to lag. I see mplayer
is only pulling down the file at about 300-600kB/s and wont fill the cache
any faster. Is there anything i might be doing wrong, im not really
understanding why mplayer appears to be limiting bandwidth. Thanks!