[MPlayer-users] -bandwidth option being ignored, not utilizing available network bandwidth?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Jan 31 12:48:19 CET 2010

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 08:06:32PM -0800, Joshua Smith wrote:
> I am trying to stream video through a samba share with openvpn. A straight
> file copy yields sustained 20mbit transfer rate. However, if i try to play
> back that same file (file bitrate is far below 20mbit) with mplayer using
> -bandwidth (cant seem to find an exact description of what this does so i
> set it very high 1000000000) -cache and -cache-min.

-bandwidth will only change which media version MPlayer requests from a streaming
server. It does not limit anything in any way.
Suggestions for improving the documentation welcome.

> Mplayer will fill the
> min cache, quickly blow through the buffer and begin to lag. I see mplayer
> is only pulling down the file at about 300-600kB/s and wont fill the cache
> any faster. Is there anything i might be doing wrong, im not really
> understanding why mplayer appears to be limiting bandwidth.

If it's only reading that slow that should mean it really gets the data that slow.
What kind of file is it, and have you tried reading the file through exactly
the same way as MPlayer?
Are you using fuse to access the samba shares, the kernel samba support or MPlayer's
built-in samba support?
What kind of file is it?
Or in short, give us the full MPlayer log.