[MPlayer-users] -bandwidth option being ignored, not utilizing available network bandwidth?

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Sun Jan 31 12:20:06 CET 2010

On Sat, 2010-01-30 at 20:06 -0800, Joshua Smith wrote:
> I am trying to stream video through a samba share with openvpn. A straight
> file copy yields sustained 20mbit transfer rate. However, if i try to play
> back that same file (file bitrate is far below 20mbit) with mplayer using
> -bandwidth (cant seem to find an exact description of what this does so i

The -bandwidth option does not affect MPlayer's streaming or caching
behavior and is irrelevant here. It only matters for particular kinds of
network URLs that allow selecting between different bandwidth versions
of the same video. In other words it's for selecting the video _content_
to play, not _how_ to handle playing it.