[MPlayer-users] Fwd: MPlayer on OLD XP Laptop \\ 4Jul10

info at vtnd.de info at vtnd.de
Mon Jul 5 12:36:10 CEST 2010

> Two interesting posts about the MPlayer filters are»
> http://freshmeat.net/articles/fine-tuning-mplayer
> and
> http://code.google.com/p/gnome-mplayer/issues/detail?id=160
>
> The first says to avoid the filters if possible because
> the filters will require lots of CPU usage.

It does not. The document is seven years old, and it says you can
improve image quality by means of filters if you've got "few percentages
of idle CPU".

It warns about CPU consumption by filters "like postprocess,
deinterlace, blur/sharpen, denoise, etc."
Colorspace conversion by the scale filter is not listed here.

> The second says Gnome will disable filters with -vf-clr.

It does not. The document deals with GNOME-mplayer, a frontend for the
GNOME desktop. Do you intend to run that on windows? And it comes to the
conclusion, that "-vf-clr" is not needed anymore when using VDPAU
output. "-vf-clr" can, however, disable the screenshot-filter etc., that
is otherwise enabled by the frontend. Noone was writing about disabling
colorspace conversion.

> I would like to try playback without any filters and see what happens.

I gave you instructions on how to see what it would look like.
And, we've read that before. I presume the more you annoy people by
repeating that the less they will be willing to help you.

> VLC also uses swscaler (but at less CPU usage for some reason).

Why don't you disable that filter on VLC for a start, and see if the
result is something like you want to get from MPlayer, too?

Greets,
Kiste