[MPlayer-users] Still no vorbis audio

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Sat Jul 10 21:07:47 CEST 2010

Le duodi 22 messidor, an CCXVIII, Carl Eugen Hoyos a écrit :
> Since I get different sizes and bit-rates (and tiny_psnr claims less
> stddev and more SNR for native vorbis):

Objective measures like PSNR are not perfect. I read somewhere on these
lists that one of the main things that Xiph Vorbis encoder have and ffmpeg
does not have, is a psychoacoustics model: a model of how the human hearing
works that says the encoder which parts it can remove to save bits for other
parts.

PSNR is especially not good for audio codecs: for example, we could imagine
a codec that completely changes the phase of the harmonics, the PSNR would
be awful, although the quality could still be pretty good.

> Could you confirm that the ffmpeg version you are using is newer than r23426?

FFmpeg version SVN-r23591, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 the FFmpeg developers
  built on Jun 12 2010 16:01:36 with gcc 4.4.4
  configuration: --prefix=/opt/ffmpeg-20100612 --extra-cflags=-I/usr/local/include --extra-ldflags=-L/usr/local/lib --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-nonfree --enable-libgsm --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libvorbis --enable-libtheora --enable-libspeex --enable-libdirac --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libfaad --enable-libfaac --enable-libxvid --enable-libx264 --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-x11grab --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libvpx --enable-postproc --enable-avfilter --enable-avfilter-lavf --enable-shared --enable-pthreads
  libavutil     50.18. 0 / 50.18. 0
  libavcodec    52.76. 0 / 52.76. 0
  libavformat   52.68. 0 / 52.68. 0
  libavdevice   52. 2. 0 / 52. 2. 0