[MPlayer-users] Y4m

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Jun 21 20:41:27 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 12:40:30PM -0500, Rolf Ernst wrote:
> On the other hand - the webm people released an mencoder patch to
> support VP in mencoder. Glancing at the svn code that patch has been
> (somewhat) integrated but apparently currently does not work or does
> not work right (you can say vcodec=libvpx but the resulting output
> is not playable).
>
> Do you know what the status of it is and what the plan? If you tell
> me, yes, we'll get it working within a few weeks it sounds like I
> might just hold off. If you say, well, we have no plans for it I may
> go the ffmpeg route but I'd rather not.

My point of view currently: I (and quite a few other FFmpeg developers)
seem unable to convince them to choose a bitstream format that works
with AVI or any other CFR-only format citing some as-of-yet-undiscovered
possible future case that might need their special handling of so-called ARFs.
So, if you provide more details I might look into it, but given the unwillingness
of making VP8 work properly with MEncoder, VirtualDub, VfW in general and any
other program that was never designed to do anything but CFR I'm not sure
I see much of a point, since MEncoder would always be "second-class",
never working fully with VP8.