[MPlayer-users] Y4m

Rolf Ernst rolf.ernst at silverlightning.org
Mon Jun 21 21:10:38 CEST 2010

On 6/21/2010 1:41 PM, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 12:40:30PM -0500, Rolf Ernst wrote:
>
>> On the other hand - the webm people released an mencoder patch to
>> support VP in mencoder. Glancing at the svn code that patch has been
>> (somewhat) integrated but apparently currently does not work or does
>> not work right (you can say vcodec=libvpx but the resulting output
>> is not playable).
>>
>> Do you know what the status of it is and what the plan? If you tell
>> me, yes, we'll get it working within a few weeks it sounds like I
>> might just hold off. If you say, well, we have no plans for it I may
>> go the ffmpeg route but I'd rather not.
>>
> My point of view currently: I (and quite a few other FFmpeg developers)
> seem unable to convince them to choose a bitstream format that works
> with AVI or any other CFR-only format citing some as-of-yet-undiscovered
> possible future case that might need their special handling of so-called ARFs.
> So, if you provide more details I might look into it, but given the unwillingness
> of making VP8 work properly with MEncoder, VirtualDub, VfW in general and any
> other program that was never designed to do anything but CFR I'm not sure
> I see much of a point, since MEncoder would always be "second-class",
> never working fully with VP8.

Reimar,

I am confused. I have used ffmpeg 0.6 which supports the webm container.
Are you then saying it only provides CFR information? I am not sure how
Handbrake provides VFR using ffmpeg but somehow they seem to introduce
timestamping into the Matroska container. That all aside:

Fact is that the Google guys have provided a patch for mencoder:

http://code.google.com/p/webm/issues/detail?id=68

and

http://code.google.com/p/webm/downloads/list

This suggests to me that they have done some heavy lifting to integrate
libvpx and ffmpeg (as executable) spits out webm.

mplayer-vp8-encdec-support-r2.tar.bz2
<detail?name=mplayer-vp8-encdec-support-r2.tar.bz2&can=2&q=>

Have you chosen not to flow this into the development path? Certainly
some of these files can be found in svn. Has this not worked out.

I think the 'second class' argument is not really applicable because it
is doubtful that somehow magically some open source team will emerge
which will pop out a tool with the vast amount of possibilities of
mencoder/ffmpeg supporting vfr. I believe that the overwhelming
community will be quite content to simply use VP8 with CFR (which it
offers). If the webm guys (which I presume to be Google?) have delivered
a patch - why not use it?

/re

--
/re

Capital punishment is our society's recognition of the sanctity of human life.

Orrin Hatch