[MPlayer-users] [OT] How to play PC CD-ROM track from an old Enhanced CD?

Dave P lists.davep at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 21:46:34 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 15:07, Reimar Döffinger
<Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 12:04:54PM -0400, Dave P wrote:
>> I'm guessing the file I need to play is SR125.CDQ (51 MB).
>
> That seems too small to me.
>
>> I can upload files or the entire ISO if needed.
>
> Are you sure the ISO would contain everything?
> The most likely way is still a separate track/session in which
> case e.g. an ordinary CD player would play it, playing it on
> a computer may or may not be a lot more difficult.
> Is those about 60 MB really all that's on the CD? You should be
> able to see how full the CD is if you squint at it at the proper
> angle, at 60 MB you would see just a small ring of data near the
> middle. Hm, I guess if you never tried it before my explanation
> probably won't help you much to figure it out.

I've made a little progress this afternoon.  First, the old Apple CD
Player that comes with the CD complained that I needed to use
Quicktime 2.01 or higher.  I found it (oldversion.com) and installed
it.  Then I could actually launch Apple CD Player.  For
interactive/enhanced discs it asks for *.cdq files.  I imagine it's
kind of like an IFO file and media file wrapped into one.  Also, I
opened the .cdq file in a hex editor and found phrases like 'cinepak'
and 'moov.'  In addition, with Apple CD Player I can play the .cdq
file from my HDD or the CD.  Furthermore, using procexp.exe, I found
that the file is being opened as .mov via Quicktime.exe and a 16-bit
to 32-bit helper called ntvdm.exe.  To sum up, I can play it now, but
not with MPlayer.  If only I could pipe Apple CD Player's output to
mplayer's dumpstream...

Thanks,

dp