[MPlayer-users] Transcoding oddly interlaced/progressive video to progressive video

Daniel Dawson ddawson at icehouse.net
Wed Jun 23 21:41:38 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 01:38:43AM -0400, Richard Harman wrote:
> Has anyone ever encountered an interlace/progressive pattern like this
> before:  Two "progressive" frames followed by four interlaced frames.
>
> The DVD I'm transcoding is NTSC 29.97 fps, and I'm pretty sure that the
> source material was 23.97 fps.  I've never seen a six-frame pull-down
> pattern before.  I'm trying to encode this back into 23.97 fps h264, but
> I haven't the slightest idea how to deal with a six-frame pull-down pattern.
>
> If anyone is curious and wants to see what I'm seeing, this is from the
> region 1 2005 Dr Who series, season 1 disc 1.

Dr. Who is a British series. They use PAL over there, which is 25 fps.
Since that's about a 6:5 ratio converting to NTSC, they would use
something like 2:2:3:2:3 pulldown, which comes out to 6 NTSC frames per
cycle.

Clearly, it would be best to reverse the pulldown to get something like
the original 25 fps interlaced or progressive (not sure which) content.
I don't know if mencoder has a way of reversing that, though I'm sure
it's theoretically possible. If there isn't, you can try to use a
deinterlacing filter or something.

--
Web: purl.org/net/ddawson/web/   Bkmrks: purl.org/net/ddawson/bookmarks/
Jabber: danieldawson at jabber.org          Google: danielcdawson at gmail.com