[MPlayer-users] MPlayer on OLD XP Laptop \\ 29Jun10

AEN007 aen007e at aol.com
Tue Jun 29 13:27:53 CEST 2010

29June2010

Greetings.

I have just discovered & started playing around with the MPlayer
commandline/config file.
I have three XP laptops.
Laptop G has an Intel Celeron M370 1500MHz & 1gb DDR2 266MHz RAM.
Laptop I has a PIV 1800MHz & 1gb DDR 133MHz RAM.
S/MPlayer is my preferred video gui/player on my XP laptops G & I.

I want XP laptop T (from 1998 has a PII 233MHz with 160mb RAM) to be my
multimedia machine.
I play A/V files on T while I work on G & I. (I wish my USB analog
video device would run on T ...)
VLC works better than S/MP on T.
VLC will play very well any/all avi files I have made IF
the dimensions are 320:240; the bitrate is not too high & the framerate
is 25 or less.
S/MP will not play those (or any ) files on T. CPU usage goes to 100% &
the playback locks up.

MPlayer through the commandline does not play those files as well as
VLC on T.
The MPlayer console gives the following two messages:
1) Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...;
2) Invalid and inefficient vfw-avi packed B frames detected;

I would like to know the MPlayer commandline/config file entry to
prevent MPlayer
 from starting the scale filter. It seems to me (& I have read) that
MPlayer filters require
too much cpu usage on laptop T. How can one disable and /or prevent
MPlayer
from loading/starting video filters?

I ran the -vf format=fmt=help command and have the list of supported
colorspaces.
When I try the -nocolorkey command (in the config file or commandline),
the mplayer console says -nocolorkey does not exist ...

I have other questions, but the above is my first concern.

Any helpful replies/insights appreciated.
Thank you.
Regards,
AEN

p.s.: I also sent the email below (before subscribing ...)