[MPlayer-users] VDPAU stuttering when playing x264 encoded media

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Wed May 5 20:15:34 CEST 2010

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 6:48 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> Tom Evans <tevans.uk <at> googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> When using mplayer SVN to playback x264 encoded media using vdpau,
>> video playback stutters unpredictably.
>
> If your screen's refresh rate is ~24Hz, it is unlikely that you get good results
> with current svn (you could try -speed 0.98).
>
> If your screen's refresh rate is >30 Hz, I need more information.
>
> [...]
>
> Unrelated to your problem, but please note that the following configure options
> do not what you expect:
> --enable-libdca, --enable-speex, --enable-freetype, --enable-vdpau,
> --enable-tv-v4l1, --enable-tv-v4l2, --enable-x264
> (I guess all enable-options except menu, but x264 is especially evil)
>
> And both --disable-ssse3 and --enable-runtime-cpudetection look very
> unreasonable to me (or require bug reports).
>
> And if you are using such speed-affecting configure options, I don't understand
> the many disable's either.
>
> Carl Eugen

I derived the configure options from how mplayer is configured in
FreeBSD ports; I believe SSE3 is disabled due to poor support in gcc
4.2.

In what way do those options not do what I expect? Do they not enable
dca, freetype, vdpau and v4l, and allow mencoder to encode to x264?

Can you clarify what speed has to do with this as well? With vo=xv,
the CPU has to do all decoding, and manages it just fine. I would have
thought even more capacity would be available when I offload all the
decoding.

Thanks

Tom