[MPlayer-users] VDPAU stuttering when playing x264 encoded media

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed May 5 19:48:34 CEST 2010

Tom Evans <tevans.uk <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> When using mplayer SVN to playback x264 encoded media using vdpau,
> video playback stutters unpredictably.

If your screen's refresh rate is ~24Hz, it is unlikely that you get good results
with current svn (you could try -speed 0.98).

If your screen's refresh rate is >30 Hz, I need more information.

[...]

Unrelated to your problem, but please note that the following configure options
do not what you expect:
--enable-libdca, --enable-speex, --enable-freetype, --enable-vdpau,
--enable-tv-v4l1, --enable-tv-v4l2, --enable-x264
(I guess all enable-options except menu, but x264 is especially evil)

And both --disable-ssse3 and --enable-runtime-cpudetection look very
unreasonable to me (or require bug reports).

And if you are using such speed-affecting configure options, I don't understand
the many disable's either.

Carl Eugen