[MPlayer-users] Uoti nonsense, and my parting words

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Fri May 21 14:37:05 CEST 2010

> I know that current SVN is usually stable enough to be pushed out to
> users.

That's lovely, but... y'know... "usually" isn't terribly convincing. No
distro manager realiastically has the time or resources to microscopically
check every package and learn its quirks; mplayer might be your main effort
but it is not Ubuntu's, for instance. This is reason people name something a
release, so that we all know what to go for.

Make releases. Please. The word need mean nothing more than "most recent
version we're reasonably convinced is stable".

Yes, you can make all kinds of arguments that it isn't your problem and you
don't have time and it's someone else's job and on and on. At the end of the
day, though, the reason this sort of heated discussion arises is simply
because nobody has any real idea what they're supposed to use, beyond
"latest SVN" which is very hard to get hold of for most of us.