[MPlayer-users] Transcoding from one aspect ratio to another

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Fri Nov 5 08:01:58 CET 2010

On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 07:29:34PM -0700, JD wrote:
> I am truly sorry for having started this thread.

In that case I should maybe at least mention that your
example with audio made me think if something like
this is possible for video as well.
To be specific, I am talking about e.g. stretching a video
to be more wide than it was originally, but without it
looking strange.
I guess in theory you could imagine that you would keep
everything where you are sensitive to the aspect (circles,
heads, humans) the same, but you somehow repeat/stretch parts
in-between, e.g. grass to fill up the extra space.
I guess at that point you can imagine that is far, far beyond
anything that can be done in an automated way, particularly
for video where you also have to stretch future frames in a
way that is consistent, but it is at least imagineable.