[MPlayer-users] x264 support on cygwin

Puneet Arora arorap at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 13:53:01 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 5:41 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> Puneet Arora <arorap <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'm trying to build mplayer under cygwin on Windows 7 x64. I wish to
>> build it with support for x264.
>
> You don't need x264 (to play H264 videos) with MPlayer.
> If you need it for MEncoder (which currently is not an actively
>> maintained application), you have to install the latest version.
>
> Carl Eugen

Yes, I need it for use with MEncoder. I do have the latest versions of
both MEncoder and the x264 lib. Are there plans for active maintenance
of MEncoder in future? (I'm wondering if its worth to invest time to
build it and learn to use it?)  I think an alternative could be using
the ffmpeg command line tool. Are there more things that MEncoder
offers compared to that?