[MPlayer-users] Ripping DVDs with the -dumpstream option

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Tue Nov 16 04:20:41 CET 2010

On 10-11-15 07:06 PM, Dom H wrote:
> I'm currently using the following command to rip dvds (inc. those
> protected with aRRcos etc.)
>
> mplayer -dumpstream dvdnav://1 -nocache -dumpfile video.mpeg
>

> This seems reliable although my very last rip was a foreign language
> film which the resultant file seemed to contain no subtitle tracks at
> all. Any ideas as to why this could happen? I'm guessing my output
> file extension determines the container format, is 'mpeg' the most
> suitable? I want to ensure that forced subtitles function as intended
> from my rips when passing the -forcedsubsonly option on playback.
>
> Basically I want a copy of the main feature title that will play back
> exactly as the original disc would.

That's not going to be that easy.  While the dumpstream command captures
the sub images in the stream, all the the meta-deta that is used to help
display them (language, colors, etc.) is missing.  You probably want to
try experimenting   with mencoder's -vobsubout option to extract the
subs from the original dvd.  It would then probably be a good idea to
mux the mpeg and the subs into an mkv container, for easier
compatability with video players that don't support external vob sub files.

An example vobsubout script:

mencoder $1 -sid $2 -o /dev/null -ovc copy -oac copy -ofps 30000/1001
-vobsubout $1 -vobsuboutindex 0 -vobsuboutid en

I found that some videos would get completely wrong timestamps unless I
include the -ofps option.  I usually apply that command to an extracted
mpeg file, but as I mentioned, all useful meta-data is lost.  You will
want to make that work with dvdnav:// --nocache (assuming mencoder will
support those) to preserve that extra data.