[MPlayer-users] mencoder/xvid: issues with forced PAR using a DXN profile

Daniel Klaffenbach daniel.klaffenbach at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue Oct 5 15:49:39 CEST 2010

On Monday 04 October 2010 19:12:20 Jarek Czekalski wrote:
>   Looks like there is a problem in xvidenc. It goes like this:
>
>      if( !(selected_profile->flags & PROFILE_DXN) )
>      {/* here is par being set in different manners */...}
I've noticed that. My current workaround is to remove this check in the
sourcecode and recompile mplayer.

> So choosing a DXN profile leads to par11 as you have discovered. Maybe
> you should try to set the encoding parameters by hand: interlacing, max
> bvop=1, without choosing a profile. That may be a workaround.
The main reason I am using the profile is to keep the peak bitrate below 8
Mbits. Since I am using two-pass encoding with a specified target size (3,9
GiB) I need some way to limit the peak bitrate and using a DXN profile seems to
be the only option I have in this case.

Or is anyone aware of any other options to limit the XviD peak bitrate with
mencoder? I am *not* talking about the average bitrate.

> My experience with fixing xvid encoding problems with mplayer team is
> negative, so I doubt they will do anything about it. Especially when it
> regards interlacing encoding, as the profile dxnhtpal does.
It seems like a custom PAR is only supported by DivX 6.7 or higher. All of my
hardware players support this version - this is why I think the best way to
deal with this issue would be adding additional profiles such as "dxnht7pal",
which would allow users to set a custom PAR value.

Regards,
Daniel