[MPlayer-users] How to choose fastest drivers

Nick Koretsky nick_koretsky at ukr.net
Sun Oct 31 03:10:42 CET 2010

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 15:42:55 -0700
 JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:

> My system is a 2.4GHz Athlon64, Fedora 13 (i686),
> 2GB ram, 8GB swap. Before I start the mplayer,
> the load factor is relatively very low:
> load average: 1.56, 1.50, 1.43

This is insanely high LA for an idle system. idle system should be
below 0.1, anything above this means that either system is not idle or
something is fundamentally wrong with drivers.

> The highest cpu usage by any process is 1% or less.
> There are only 5 processes at 1% and the rest are
> below .2%. Mplayer itself, when running, consumes
> 90% of cpu.

> $ mplayer -vo x11 -ao  sdl -nocache  test-vid.mkv

You should never user -vo x11 other than for testing purposes. Use xv
or gl_nosw (or vdpau if videocard is nvidia)

--
  Nick Koretsky (nick.koretsky at gmail.com)