[MPlayer-users] Newish Vobsub bug

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Sep 6 21:44:30 CEST 2010

On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 03:21:32PM -0400, Rashkae wrote:
> When playing a .vob file without proper .idx file with Mplayer, the
> subs are displayed way too high.  This is the same as you would see
> if playing using an idx file with an incorrect (or missing) vertical
> size.  (The only value I've ever seen display subs correctly is
> size: 720x480 in the idx file.  The horizontal size doesn't appear
> to have much, if any effect, but any value other than 480 causes to
> the subs to display halfway up the screen)

Huh? Are you using the vobsubs from a DVD with a HD video?
That can't work, because
a) HD video can also come with HD vobsubs
b) we can't figure out if those are PAL or NTSC vobsubs either

So while you may have been lucky before, if you want vobsubs to
work with HD video you'll have to add a size, I can't think
of any other solution that works at least somewhat ok for
every case.