[MPlayer-users] Wrong framerate

Sam Geeraerts samgee at elmundolibre.be
Mon Apr 25 15:54:16 CEST 2011

I downloaded this video from Youtube:

clive -f mp4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtGUcTZkbxU

When I play it with Mplayer I see this in the terminal output:

Playing LetItBeLineDanceDanceTeach.mp4.
libavformat file format detected.
[lavf] stream 0: video (h264), -vid 0
[lavf] stream 1: audio (aac), -aid 0, -alang und
VIDEO:  [H264]  640x360  24bpp  59.750 fps  463.9 kbps (56.6 kbyte/s)

But VLC says that the video framerate is 29.968702.

Both Mplayer and VLC play it fine. The problem happens when I convert it
with mencoder to play on a portable media player. The output video is a
lot faster, though the audio plays at the right rate. Even when do just

mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy input.mp4 -o output.mp4

the video is much too fast. When I add "-fps 30" then the output is ok,
but it would of course be more convenient if the right framerate is
detected automatically.