[MPlayer-users] mplayer and multicast: Unknown NAL code: 18

jacopo mondi j.mondi at voltaelectronics.com
Wed Aug 10 16:41:36 CEST 2011

Hi list,
we are trying to use mplayer as our default player for displaying a
multicast video stream coming from an H264 video server (converts
analog video sources in H264 encoded streams).

Mplayer is able to negotiate multicast streaming via rtsp commands
(simply call rtsp://unicast_ip:port/multicast/trackn and multicast
stream will be displayed by mplayer).

After a couple of minutes (random time) the stream stops playing, and
the displayed image seems to merge with the incoming frames.
I've started mplayer with the -v option, and I continuously get the
following messages:

[h264 @ 0xeccca0]Unknown NAL code: 18 (7 bits)
V:   XX.X 3722/3722 15%  2%  0.0% 0 0

where XX.X is an increasing number. Everything is fine, until the
displayed number is >=1, when the number becomes a decimal number < 1
(eg 0.6) the stream stops being displayed.

What does those numbers mean? It could be possible that mplayer has
problems handling the multicast header the video server prepends in
front of the RTP packet?

Mplayer version is SVN-r33367, on x84_64 debian testing.

Thank you in advance