[MPlayer-users] How do you play raw h.264 files in mplayer?

Stephen Mollett molletts at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 12 14:05:56 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Friday, 12 August 2011, 12:32, David <wizzardx at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why does mplayer take so long to start playing a h.264 stream that's
> passed to it on stdin or over a named pipe?

> I have a script, "test.py", which prints out raw h.264 data (from a
> DVR) to stdout.
>
> If I pipe that into mplayer like this:
>
> ./test.py | mplayer - -fps 25
>
> Then it spends about 10 seconds doing this:

> Playing -.
> Reading from stdin...
> Cannot seek backward in linear streams!
> Seek failed

My guess is that it's waiting for a keyframe or some other kind of header that is inserted in the stream periodically. If it's a live stream, it has to wait in real time, whereas if it's playing a file saved from the stream, it can read it in as fast as it likes until it finds what it's after.

Stephen

--

I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on tape somewhere!