[MPlayer-users] Mencoder problem with /dev/dsp

Andy Furniss andyqos at ukfsn.org
Tue Jul 5 12:11:46 CEST 2011

Prakash Sompura wrote:
> Thanks for an excellent information. I have done the same what is said in
> the link you have sent. I have connected audio-out of my SAA7130 card to
> sound-in of my on-board sound device. However when I play TV with following
> command of MPlayer  I get excellent picture and sound. Still I am not able
> to increase/decrease sound volume by 0/9 keys.

This is good - at least the card is set up OK and line in working.

I wouldn't expect mplayer volume to work as it's line-in so you need to
control it with whatever volume controls pulse/desktop provides.

The problem now is just getting mencoder to work with pulse.

I have never used pulseaudio so can't really help here.

One thing you could try (if possible) is disabling pulse and backing up
then removing /etc/asound.conf maybe asoundrc if you have any (as I
expect them to be set up to use pulse).

Then see if you can get mplayer to work again - you may need to run
alsamixer to unmute/turn up things.

If you can get this working without pulse then try mencoder.