[MPlayer-users] gmplayer fails across network due to gtk/X11 interaction

Danny Mitchell fishcustard at gmail.com
Sun May 29 04:31:43 CEST 2011

mplayer built from latest svn sources (2011-04-18), gui enabled (the
build process took some tweaking because my setup is a bit different).
It works fine on the local machine, but fails under certain conditions
across the network:

<quote>
gmplayer -display remote:0.0
MPlayer SVN-r33269-snapshot (C) 2000-2011 MPlayer Team
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-VidModeExtension" missing on display "remote:0.0".
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

(gmplayer:26535): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
</quote>
(I can throw in some debug command-line options if anyone thinks
they'd be useful, but the last line seems to me to give the gane
away.)

It appears that relevant command-line options aren't being passed to
gtk. A further difficulty is that Xlib accepts -display <dpy> whereas
gtk accepts --display <dpy> (and not -display), and gmplayer doesn't
recognise --display. But that's a bug in gtk. Doing
<quote>
export DISPLAY=remote:0.0; gmplayer
</quote>
works,

Does this qualify as a bug, and if so, is it a gmplayer bug?