[MPlayer-users] What commands do i use to play a modern 3d file

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Nov 20 17:48:10 CET 2011

Bearcat M. Şandor <hometheater <at> feline-soul.com> writes:

> mplayer: 1.0_rc4_p20110322-r1
> ffmpeg: 0.7.7

(Completely unrelated to your problem: This is old and unsupported.)

> mplayer config file: http://pastebin.com/d7nsAn8F
>
> vdpau-info: http://pastebin.com/M6uJZ4BU
>
> I just got an nvidia 8800GT from a friend so i can finally use VDPAU (yay).
>
> Looking through the mplayer man page i notice a filter called stereo3d.

(Take this with a grain of salt, I am not sure there are many people on this
list who have successfully tested this.)

If you have a Quadro card that directly supports Shutter glasses (that is not
one of the "cheap" Quadro cards, but the ones that are more expensive than the
new 8800 was iirc), you can use -vo gl:stereo=3 to use the glasses, somebody has
once written to me in private that this really works.
(In case somebody considers buying one: You need a display that supports high
refresh rates.)

I believe there are TVs that support side-by-side pictures and can somehow
display them in a way that allows you to use 3D glasses, but iiuc, this has
nothing to do with MPlayer and I suspect you don't have such a display.

(You can of course use -vo gl:stereo=1 or 2 to watch 3D, but it is not quite the
cinema experience and somehow it does not work with the glasses ServusTV sent
me. Reimar claims that it simply does not work for everyone/everyones eyes. The
mentioned filter should do something similar.)

All this is not really VDPAU-related, except that you currently cannot use any
of the -vo gl modes (and no video filter, not just "currently") with -vc
ff*vdpau. Nvidia technically supports using VDPAU with gl, but it is not
implemented in MPlayer.

Carl Eugen