[MPlayer-users] playing / pausing a growing media file without restarting

David L. Emerson demerson3x at angelbase.com
Sun Nov 27 02:09:43 CET 2011

I wrote a script to download a video from youtube, and play it with mplayer
while it is still downloading. But I am having a problem:

If I use command-line mplayer, and if the download rate is too slow, then
mplayer exits when it gets to the end of the stream. Then I have to go find the
file and manually run mplayer again, and manually seek to the location where it
stopped. This is of course very annoying.

So I tried the graphical gmplayer, but gmplayer is even more stupid: If 20
seconds of content have been downloaded when gmplayer is started, then even if
the download speed is faster than the playback speed, gmplayer stops playing at
that 20 second mark. It's like it makes a copy of the file as it exists when
playback is started, instead of accessing the file (which is growing ...
command-line mplayer doesn't seem to have any problem doing this)

I guess my preference would be to use command-line mplayer, but is there a way
to get it to PAUSE playback if it reaches the end of a file, and resume
(manually or automatically) FROM THAT POINT when the file grows? Maybe some
option to pass it?

Alternately, is there a way to make gmplayer look at the real file it's playing
instead of making a copy (or whatever it's doing?)

Thanks,
David