[MPlayer-users] minimal CPU requirement to play high bitrate 1080p video in software?

Tue Aug 7 19:06:51 CEST 2012

Hi Marc MERLIN!

 On 2012.08.07 at 08:59:55 -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote next:

> I thought it would be an FAQ, but some searching didn't turn anything up.
>
> My HTPC has an intel GM35 which does not support libva/vaapi from what I was
> told.
>
> The CPU is a dual core duo 3Ghz (E8400) and playing 7MB/s 1080p 20MB/s
> encoded H264 mkv just isn't fast enough.
>
> I noticed that decoding is only done on one of the two CPUs. Is there a way
> to switch to a codec that can use both CPUs?

Yes, try adding
lavdopts = threads=2
to mplayer config. Also maybe threads=3 will provide better results.

As for "minimum CPU requirements", it's hard to answer that because it
heavily depends on video bitrate and subtitle effects and such. It is
very possible to put even modern 4-core cpu on its knees if one is using
insane bitrate like 50 mbit/sec (with CABAC and lots of referenced
frames) in h264 accompanied by subtitles with lots of complex effects
like karaoke, blur, image rendering and such.

--

Vladimir