[MPlayer-users] minimal CPU requirement to play high bitrate 1080p video in software?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Aug 7 20:00:41 CEST 2012

On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 08:59:55AM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> I thought it would be an FAQ, but some searching didn't turn anything up.
>
> My HTPC has an intel GM35 which does not support libva/vaapi from what I was
> told.
>
> The CPU is a dual core duo 3Ghz (E8400) and playing 7MB/s 1080p 20MB/s
> encoded H264 mkv just isn't fast enough.
>
> I noticed that decoding is only done on one of the two CPUs. Is there a way
> to switch to a codec that can use both CPUs?
> If not, here's mplayer -v output if that helps. If there are other compile
> options I could use, or a different codec or video output I could force, let
> me know.
> (for instance, is 'xv' still my best output option?)

Normally yes, but...

> > VDec: using Planar 420P 10-bit little-endian as output csp (no 3)

Your specific file is a 10-bit H.264 file, which and XVideo does not
support 10-bit surfaces (at least no implementation I know of does),
which means using xv needs and additional software conversion.
Unfortunately you cut the status line output, otherwise I could have
told you approximately how much performance that costs.
-vo gl should be able to handle 10-bit directly (on many cards at least).