[MPlayer-users] Packaged regressions

Marc MERLIN marc_mplayer at merlins.org
Thu Aug 9 07:46:07 CEST 2012

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 08:13:43PM +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> (I should have added that the Debian maintainers have repeatedly
> stated they do not care about such bugs, no matter if they are
> security relevant or not.)
> As you probably know, FFmpeg is an integral part of the MPlayer
> source code, your version was compiled against one of FFmpeg's
> forks. This specific fork is known to contain several hundred
> regressions, some of them possibly security relevant.
> Fortunately, you don't have to trust my word about this:
> Simply test fixed bugs from the FFmpeg bug tracker with avconv,
> and open bugs from the fork's bug tracker with FFmpeg.
> (You can also test open bugs from the FFmpeg bug tracker with
> avconv and closed bugs from the fork's bug tracker with FFmpeg,
> but you will not get many interesting results.)
> Also consider testing old open bugs from roundup, some are also
> only fixed in FFmpeg.
>
> Of course, not every FFmpeg bug is reproducible with MPlayer,
> but many are.
>
> Allow me to add that some people have repeatedly stated that
> there is (at least) one severe regression in FFmpeg over the
> mentioned fork; unfortunately, so far nobody was able to
> explain what this regression is about or how it can be
> reproduced.

Thank you for that info.

So I'm actually using the custom packages from Christian Marillat who has
doing a much better job than standard debian for maybe 10 years now?

http://www.deb-multimedia.org/

So far, I've been nothing but happy with the packages from Christian, as far
as I know, he'll make the right choices for making the package as good as
possible, and not worry as much about other things :)

Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/