[MPlayer-users] converting a .mov file with mencoder

Pierre Frenkiel pierre.frenkiel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 19:33:57 CET 2012

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012, Nicolas George wrote:

> The file is not in MOV format, it is MPEG-TS, and mplayer detects it as
> such.

    strange: the command "file file.mov" gives:
        file.mov: Apple QuickTime movie (unoptimized)

> Now you can encode the file using ffmpeg.

   yes, but I have the same problem with the aspect ratio, even with the -s option:
      ffmpeg -s 800x440  -f mpegts -i file.mov file.mpg
   and I don't understand why mplayer says:
        VIDEO:  MPEG2  480x576    for file.mov
        VIDEO:  MPEG1  480x576    for file.mpg
   an other detail: with ffmpeg, the first frames are corruped (during about 2 seconds)
   but not with mencoder.

>                                         . Although I would still like to see
> your full command line and console output to know where mencoder messes the
> aspect ratio.
      mencoder -mpegopts vaspect=16/9 -of mpeg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video\
            -oac copy file.mov -o file.mpg
    or

       mencoder  -aspect 16:9 -of mpeg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video\
             -oac copy file.mov  -o file.mpg
--
Pierre Frenkiel