[MPlayer-users] converting a .mov file with mencoder

Ron Johnson ron.l.johnson at cox.net
Wed Feb 8 20:07:41 CET 2012

On 02/08/2012 12:33 PM, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Feb 2012, Nicolas George wrote:
>
>> The file is not in MOV format, it is MPEG-TS, and mplayer detects it as
>> such.
>
> strange: the command "file file.mov" gives:
> file.mov: Apple QuickTime movie (unoptimized)

That's Motion JPEG.  My wife's camera makes videos in that format, with
PCM audio (which is why, because it writes to FAT-formatted SD cards, it
can only record 25 minutes of video: the file reaches FAT's 2GB file
size limit).

Here's how I convert such files to MPEG-2 format suitable for burning to
DVD:

VCODEC="vcodec=mpeg2video:aspect=4/3:vbitrate=6000:trell:nr=100"
mencoder \
     ${FOO}.mov \
     -o ${FOO}.avi \
     -ovc lavc -lavcopts $VCODEC \
     -oac pcm -channels 1 -srate 8000
ffmpeg -i ${FOO}.avi -target ntsc-dvd ${FOO}.mpeg

Note the 2-step process.  That's the only way I've found to retain A/V
sync.  (The -oac and -ovc values are specific to that camera's MJPEG
files.  You'd have to adjust accordingly.

--
How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?