[MPlayer-users] "too slow" even with a modern system?

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 09:06:38 CEST 2012

>> > Note that vsync is not an issue, both because it generally isn't with
>> > XVideo, and you can also see it from the CPU usage numbers "128% 4%
>> > 2.0%", vsync issues would cause the second to be large.
>> > The first number says that decoding the video takes 28% more time than
>> > what would be necessary to decode in real-time.
>> > You can try adding skipframe=nonref, but I think the results will be bad.
>> > I also couldn't figure out how many cores your CPU has. If it has 4, you
>> > probably should use more than 4 threads.
>> > If it has HyperThreading, it might help to disable it (in the BIOS I
>> > think - it might make things slower though, that's completely
>> > unpredictable).
>>
>> I found that I can play 00006.mp4 perfectly if I:
>>
>> ffmpeg -i 00006.MTS -sameq 00006.mp4
>>
>> I can 'mplayer 00006.mp4' and audio stays perfectly in sync.  What
>> does this mean?
>
> It means that a video can be encoded in a way that makes it harder
> or easier to decode.
> Unless your FFmpeg was built against libx264, the new file will be
> MPEG-4 ASP and not H.264, which is more than that 30% faster that
> your computer is too slow.
> Or if it actually is H.264 it probably does not use complex stuff like
> CABAC or B-frames, plus it likely is a lot lower bandwidth (both because
> usually camcorder encoders are bad and thus create high-bandwith video
> and also because -sameq does not really work).

OK thanks for your help, would you enable anything else for my mplayer build:

media-video/mplayer-1.1-r1  USE="X a52 alsa cdio cpudetection dts dv
dvd dvdnav enca encode faad gif iconv jpeg libass live mad mmx mng mp3
network opengl osdmenu png quicktime rar real rtc sdl shm speex sse
sse2 theora toolame tremor truetype twolame unicode vorbis x264
xscreensaver xv xvid -3dnow -3dnowext -aalib (-altivec) (-aqua) -bidi
-bindist -bl -bluray -bs2b -cddb -cdparanoia -debug -dga -directfb
-doc -dvb -dxr3 -faac -fbcon -ftp -ggi -gsm -ipv6 -jack -joystick
-jpeg2k -ladspa -libcaca -libmpeg2 -lirc -lzo -md5sum -mmxext -nas
-nut -openal -oss -pnm -pulseaudio -pvr -radio -rtmp -samba -ssse3
-tga -v4l -vdpau (-vidix) (-win32codecs) -xanim -xinerama -xvmc
-zoran" VIDEO_CARDS="-mga -s3virge -tdfx"

- Grant