[MPlayer-users] Audio sync problem with mencoder

Mike Castle dalgoda+mplayer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 17:22:46 CET 2012

I started a recent thread over on mencoder-users about mencoder and
AC3 sync issues.
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mencoder-users/2012-March/013075.html

I've narrowed down problem to a set of changes: works before a certain
point in time, fails afterwards.  At least for my system.

The exact change where it fails doesn't make much sense to me, so I
really think it's two changes in combination (basically a reworking of
how time stamps are tracked).

I won't have time to delve into it much more for a while.  Maybe a dev
with more familiarity with the code could look at it?

If you decide to try to use a version from the point in time that I
describe in that thread, don't forget that you will also need to do a
git checkout for ffmpeg from that point in time, which means doing a
full git clone.  This will take more time than the --rebase --ff-only
method that mplayer's configure script will do by default.  And then
doing a [git checkout ......] to a change from the appropriate era
(current ffmpeg is incompatible with the version of mencoder source
from the time that it works for me).  I wasn't too precise with the
version of ffmpeg that I used. Just something random from the day in
question (2011-02-22).  But the mplayer change was important.

mrc